National Domestic Violence Hotline:
Hotline- 24/7 – anonymous, confidential, caring, and free: 1-800-799-7233
Live Chat – M- F – 9 am – 7 pm Central Mountain Time: http://www.thehotline.org/what-is-live-chat/
State or local women’s help agency offer free help and resources. Go to this site for location help:
Are You Being Abused?
Emotional Abuse Test(Instructions: Carefully consider each question while thinking about yourself and your partner. Answer “yes” or “no” to each question on this emotional abuse quiz.)
- Feel afraid of your partner much of the time?
- Avoid certain topics out of fear of angering your partner?
- Feel that you can’t do anything right for your partner?
- Believe that you deserve to be hurt or mistreated?
- Wonder if you’re the one who is crazy?
- Feel emotionally numb or helpless?
Does your partner…
- Humiliate or yell at you?
- Criticize you and put you down?
- Treat you so badly that you’re embarrassed for your friends or family to see?
- Ignore or put down your opinions or accomplishments?
- Blame you for their own abusive behavior?
- See you as property or a sex object, rather than as a person?
- Have a bad and unpredictable temper?
- Hurt you, or threaten to hurt or kill you?
- Threaten to take your children away or harm them?
- Threaten to commit suicide if you leave?
- Force you to have sex?
- Destroy your belongings?
- Act excessively jealous and possessive?
- Control where you go or what you do?
- Keep you from seeing your friends or family?
- Limit your access to money, the phone, or the car?
- Constantly check up on you?
Emotional Abuse Test Scoring: The more questions you answered “yes” to in this emotional abuse quiz, the more likely it is that you are in an abusive relationship. If you feel you are in an abusive relationship, reach out. No one deserves to be emotionally abused by another person, no matter what the circumstance. Remember that you are not alone and there are people available to help you.
In addition to emotional abuse, you may also be experiencing physical, financial, sexual, psychological and spiritual abuse. For instance, does your partner use scripture to control and manipulate you?